Sports stuff

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sports stuff

Post by kbeau73 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:53 pm

I'm not too sure how many of you are into sports but personally I find them as a welcome distraction during my day. (my employers may not feel the same though Razz)

Anyway, I've been following a story of the Boston Bruins and their potential pursuit of Steven Stamkos and I'm iffy about it. He's a heck of a player but he's had some issues I'd be a little concerned about going forward. If you're not a hockey fan you'll have no clue what I'm talking about so just pass this message by! Razz

Also, the Red Sox have been in a downward spiral lately and it's obvious it's a pitching issue but what's the solution? Ideally I'd say the solution would've been to keep Jon Lester but that boat has passed us by. There aren't a lot of teams out of the running in MLB so the pickings are going to be slim. Not only that but teams are going to be looking for a King's ransom on return. I just hope we don't empty the farm system for a so-so pitcher.

Delta-One

http://casualgaming.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports stuff

Post by techjedi on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:00 pm

I think the problem is that teams, Red Sox included, need to stop searching for dominant starting pitchers to solve their problems. What they really need is a crop of pitchers who can go about 4 innings throwing specialized types of pitches. I like to think of Derek Lowe, who had a bumpy career but was clutch in 2004 both from the bullpen during the regular season and as a starter in the post-season. He was a sinkerball pitcher, and a sinker is designed to either fool the batter entirely (comes in like a fastball) or get them to hit a ground ball.

Also, I personally like it when a pitcher recognizes that they are a pitcher and not a special snowflake. If your team needs you to start a game, cool; if they need you to come off the bench/bullpen in the middle of the game, great. Neither is better than the other, and the job is the same -- get batters out.
techjedi
Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:27 pm

I used to love Lowe and while I do agree that maybe they've got their eyes on the jazzy prize, they should maybe tone it back some and just get someone who is good... not great. I think back to Lackey and while I know the Sox overpaid him... he was a good pitcher... give us 2-3 good pitchers to go along with Price and I think we'll have a much better shot. We don't need a Chris Archer or Chris Sale type (well, it would be nice to have) but I'm not willing to part with the pieces to get these guys.

I think what you mentioned at the end of your reply was funny.. it really is one of the reasons why I like hockey so much. A couple years ago a guy took a slapshot to the leg which ended up breaking his leg but this guy was trying to finish his shift on one leg.... someone in baseball gets a hangnail and they're on the DL. While I know I've exaggerated a bit... baseball players tend to be pre-madonnas.

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by techjedi on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:38 pm

* prima donna -- the chief female singer in an opera; a temperamental person with an inflated sense of self importance or talent.

* pre-madonna -- the era of time prior to Madonna shattering the landscape of female pop music and performance.

That said, it's one of the reasons that I admired Johnny Damon (even when he went to the Yankees) -- that dude played everyday whether he was sore, bruised, or battered and wouldn't hit the DL unless it was something that made it practically impossible to play.
techjedi
Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:53 am

Either way you spell it, it's somewhat fitting. :p

I'll have to agree with you on Damon. I was sad to see him leave (especially to the Yanks) but always thought he was a tough player. Another of my favorites was Bill Mueller because I remember him being referred to as the ultimate dirt dawg.

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by ozbuffinatic on Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:13 am

I like the Toronto Blue Jays and Atlanta Braves in the baseball, I don't really know enough about the sport to comment on all this stuff. However I think the Blue Jays in their World Series loss cost themselves their only big chance to win another title to break the twenty-something year drought as they haven't played as well. I'm hoping that the rebuilding of the Braves team pays off in the next few years with another pennant to them.

In the NFL I follow (or barrack for) the 49ers thanks to the influence of my brother (R56CooperS11, he also influenced me in relation to the Braves).

I occassionally watch American sports even though I don't have any clues as to the rules etc.

The main sports that I do watch are AFL (Australian Rules Football), Formula 1, NRL (National Rugby League), A-League (Australian Soccer) and V8 Supercars.

I barrack for Collingwood Magpies in the AFL, Melborne Storm in the NRL, my favourite F1 Driver is Daniel Ricciardo from Red Bull but I also like Ferarri, and I like the Red Bull Racing Team in the V8 Supercars with my favourite Drivers being Jamie Whincup and Craig Lowndes. I'm looking forward to the possiblity of Renae Gracie jumping up from the other driving series to be a V8 Supercar driver as she showed she had a lot of potential in her two races at Mt Panorama.
ozbuffinatic

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:08 pm

Not a Blue Jays fan but also not a hater. I just can't bring myself to root for them unless they're playing the Yankees. Razz

Much like your brother, I'm a 49ers fan! It's been quite some time since they've actually been good though.

Racing I just can't get into... unless it's some arcade racing on the Xbox. Smile

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top