New Site Ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Site Ideas

Post by kbeau73 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:55 am

So I've been thinking about some things lately and wanted some input from you guys.

Annual To-Do List Challenge - good idea or no? It's slowed down and only a few of us started on it. I'd like to make this (or another contest idea) open to more. Maybe going back to a monthly contest? Or maybe scrap this idea totally and come up with another idea. I was thinking something in regards to our backlog... or perhaps maybe completion percentage. Any ideas are welcome.

Game of the Month - I felt Minecraft was an awesome choice and we had a lot of fun but there were some of us that didn't have the game or didn't have an interest and that sucked. I've thought about doing a Games With Gold boosting night so perhaps this could take the place of the Game of the Month. This would also cut out any voting. I do think that a second game should be chosen as a backup. Like this month was Burnout Paradise and we have had a pretty good turnout... but perhaps for those that haven't joined in, maybe a second game (or backup game) could be chosen. Obviously this would take place in February but just looking for some feedback.

Podcast - I've long thought this would be a great idea but I've got no clue what would be needed to get this going nor would I have any idea what equipment would be needed. Might be something we could look into down the road.

Any other ideas that anyone has, please feel free to bring them to the table. I'd love to make this site available to many others but at the same time, I like CGC's current size.

Delta-One

http://casualgaming.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New Site Ideas

Post by Malagizmo on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:22 pm

First off - I'm still alive and well, and while I may not post much, I still lurk daily.  I haven't been able to participate in CGC stuff as much as I'd like to (or at all) because of an increase in real-life obligations, a recent move, etc.

That being said, I think you touched on two points above that have been sort of an issue with me. Disclaimer as tone is impossible to read in text: I'm not salty or angry and don't mean to come across as such. I just wanted to jot down some thoughts I've had.

First, the Annual To-Do List Challenge. As you know, I enjoyed participating in the few Monthly To-Do List Challenges we had last year. However, as this transitioned to a yearly challenge and new rules (including what I'll refer to as the "Malagizmo" rule (I know, so narcissistic)) were implemented, I was basically disqualified from participating. As a gamer whose focus is completion percentage and not GamerScore, I seldom have a large volume of unearned achievements. As a result, it seemed as though my lists were easier and I was able to earn all of my achievements month-over-month. I understand why this was an issue from a competition standpoint, but to be frankly honest, I cared nothing for my place on the leaderboard. I enjoyed the contest as a way to "target" specific achievements and provide me additional focus in any given month. Additionally, they were a way to stay in touch with everyone without being able to take place in any gaming sessions. As a note, I also fundamentally disagree - especially for a clan/guild/community with "Casual" as its defining adjective - with the notion that we should create more stringent rules in any competition which discourage members from participating.

Second, the game of the month. Unfortunately with a game of the month, if someone isn't interested or doesn't have the game, they're basically out for a month or stuck playing a game they don't want to play. I'm sure it's only luck of the draw, but there simply hasn't been one of these chosen yet that I was interested in playing. As a result, it seems like I don't really have sessions to participate in. I know I've played sparingly in ad-hoc sessions with Kbeau and Shadows over the past few months, but haven't been able to join any of the official CGC sessions because I don't have the games/want to play them. I fully understand that that is my own fault for having a small game catalog and being a completionist, but I would absolutely put a new game on my tag if it was one I was interested in and could play with you all. Again, luck of the draw, I suppose.

As far as solutions to these things, I'm not sure I have great ones. I think I'd probably participate in the monthly challenges again, but understand if people want to keep it "competitive." As for the game of the month, I like the idea of having a GwG dedicated night, but maybe opening up other nights to other types of games. Maybe different members of CGC could host different games aligned with their interests. This could give folks more variety and jump into game genres they normally wouldn't.

Also, I don't expect anything to be done for the sake of me or how I enjoy playing games. I'm fully aware the world doesn't revolve around me and you guys have done a great job growing CGC over the last couple years since our weekly Gears sessions. I just thought it may be good to share some of my thoughts and allow you to see it from my perspective. I have always truly enjoyed playing with you guys and helping where I could - unfortunately there aren't quite as many opportunities lately.
Malagizmo
CIC Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by HyruleBalverine on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:32 am

I agree that it could be fun to have more than one game going at a time. Of course, scheduling sessions could be difficult for some. I know I work nights, which is why I only show up to Friday night sessions. I have no idea what everyone else's schedules are.
HyruleBalverine

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms Dudette on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:19 am

Very well put. Thank you for conveying these thoughts as they match mine. And since I have not participated in anything for quite some time now (only partly due to IRL stuff) I would like to.
This is a great group and great site. I like the casualness atmosphere with a little bit of rivalry.
Ms Dudette
CIC Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:34 am

I'm going to address your comments one by one because I think you made a ton of good points and I appreciate your input! I also know sometimes "messages" can be misunderstood but had I done so, I would've definitely contacted you privately. I take all your points as constructive. Smile

@Malagizmo wrote:First off - I'm still alive and well, and while I may not post much, I still lurk daily.  I haven't been able to participate in CGC stuff as much as I'd like to (or at all) because of an increase in real-life obligations, a recent move, etc.

I'm happy to hear you are alive and well and active! Where did you end up moving to? My wife and I decided to buy a house and now we are living in Torrington but we own the house which is nice! No more paying money to someone else... well, besides the bank that is. Razz

@Malagizmo wrote:That being said, I think you touched on two points above that have been sort of an issue with me. Disclaimer as tone is impossible to read in text: I'm not salty or angry and don't mean to come across as such. I just wanted to jot down some thoughts I've had.

Thanks for the input and disclaimer. Smile

@Malagizmo wrote:First, the Annual To-Do List Challenge. As you know, I enjoyed participating in the few Monthly To-Do List Challenges we had last year. However, as this transitioned to a yearly challenge and new rules (including what I'll refer to as the "Malagizmo" rule (I know, so narcissistic)) were implemented, I was basically disqualified from participating. As a gamer whose focus is completion percentage and not GamerScore, I seldom have a large volume of unearned achievements. As a result, it seemed as though my lists were easier and I was able to earn all of my achievements month-over-month. I understand why this was an issue from a competition standpoint, but to be frankly honest, I cared nothing for my place on the leaderboard. I enjoyed the contest as a way to "target" specific achievements and provide me additional focus in any given month. Additionally, they were a way to stay in touch with everyone without being able to take place in any gaming sessions. As a note, I also fundamentally disagree - especially for a clan/guild/community with "Casual" as its defining adjective - with the notion that we should create more stringent rules in any competition which discourage members from participating.

Well, I believe a lot of what you are talking about here is a reason why this contest isn't a good idea for this site. It worked well on Achievement Hounds but that was because they're die-hard gamers. Most of them have streaks of over 1,000 days. I do think a more casual approach is a way to go. I'll more than likely come up with some other ideas in a casual scenario. There are some ideas in my head that I need to work through but I'll also keep your comments in mind.

@Malagizmo wrote:Second, the game of the month. Unfortunately with a game of the month, if someone isn't interested or doesn't have the game, they're basically out for a month or stuck playing a game they don't want to play. I'm sure it's only luck of the draw, but there simply hasn't been one of these chosen yet that I was interested in playing. As a result, it seems like I don't really have sessions to participate in. I know I've played sparingly in ad-hoc sessions with Kbeau and Shadows over the past few months, but haven't been able to join any of the official CGC sessions because I don't have the games/want to play them. I fully understand that that is my own fault for having a small game catalog and being a completionist, but I would absolutely put a new game on my tag if it was one I was interested in and could play with you all. Again, luck of the draw, I suppose.

I don't really see a solution to this one. I like the idea of the Game of the Month and it's been productive but I'd also like there to be some other options for those that don't have the game or don't have the interest in the Game of the Month. I see that being an issue if I was to include the Game With Gold Monthly Boosting as well. I think going to a single game has made us a bit more focused but again, we lost a little of the casual-ness.

@Malagizmo wrote:As far as solutions to these things, I'm not sure I have great ones. I think I'd probably participate in the monthly challenges again, but understand if people want to keep it "competitive." As for the game of the month, I like the idea of having a GwG dedicated night, but maybe opening up other nights to other types of games. Maybe different members of CGC could host different games aligned with their interests. This could give folks more variety and jump into game genres they normally wouldn't.

I think it's a great idea, my only comment would be someone else would need to run them. As it is I probably game too much so a Monday and Friday is all I'd like to commit to. Especially being hockey season it's affected my gaming time. I'd definitely welcome more boosting coordinators to set up other nights though. As of right now, I've been jumping on the last couple of nights sporatically and since we've had so much fun with Burnout Paradise, I've been asking others to inpromptu sessions.

@Malagizmo wrote:Also, I don't expect anything to be done for the sake of me or how I enjoy playing games. I'm fully aware the world doesn't revolve around me and you guys have done a great job growing CGC over the last couple years since our weekly Gears sessions. I just thought it may be good to share some of my thoughts and allow you to see it from my perspective. I have always truly enjoyed playing with you guys and helping where I could - unfortunately there aren't quite as many opportunities lately.

This is where I might disagree. I think what makes us so great and I know that may sound like I'm gloating but we do have a quality core of gamers and I've enjoyed gaming with every one of you. This isn't my site... or techjedi's or anyone else. We are a community and I want everyone to have an input on what goes on here.

One issue that has happened in the past was on "Social" night I'd ask what everyone wanted to play and I'd always get, "I don't care what we play" which is really not the best answer for me. :p It's also a reason I went to a specific game rather than a social setting. It was great with Minecraft and so far it's been really fun with Burnout Paradise but there have been users left out.

Again, thanks for your comments and suggestions!!

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:36 am

@Ms Dudette wrote:Very well put. Thank you for conveying these thoughts as they match mine. And since I have not participated in anything for quite some time now (only partly due to IRL stuff) I would like to.
This is a great group and great site. I like the casualness atmosphere with a little bit of rivalry.

We will be focusing on a way to include more people during our sessions for sure! Maybe adding a back up game would be a good idea. We'll give it a try for next month. The only issue is if I am heading up the main group I'll need someone to take over the setting up of a party for the back up game.

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by mrtnmitchell on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:08 pm

I personally like the way we are doing it with the one game on Monday and Friday seems like we have been having a lot more fun this way. I to wish we could get more people to join but the odds of us all having the same game is rare lol.
I love the birthday challenge you started up and the the annual to do list. I know I never cared that malagizmo always finished the challenge. Plus those who have gamed with me know I never win anyhow lol...
I will be more then happy to play on other nights that I'm free just put it on the site and if I have the game and time im always willing to help.
mrtnmitchell
CIC Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Das_Fura on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Im still a newbie to the group, but I think we have a great core of people.
I personally like the 2 night schedule and the casual attendance. Adding more nights would be more effective & open more games, but I wouldn't like to feel locked into tighter schedule. I had enough of that back in my World of Warcraft days.
Player #'s I think will always be an issue. If a game has a max of 4 online players and we have 6 attending, people may feel screwed. Secondary groups will be helpful, but again attendance will be a factor. I dont think we have to worry about clique's forming.
GwG will always be a good choice because we know members will have access to the games. If a person decides not to play, it their choice. I've started games in my library that I would not have picked normally, bu then ended up enjoying the change in gameplay or genre. But then I lean towards increasing my gamer score, not %. Using Minecraft as an example, I didnt own it, or have the desire to purchase it to work on last month with everyone. I have over 100 physical games to work off + GwG library and couldnt force myself to buy another...lol.
I worked on other games during that month, and didnt feel left out. When Burnout Paradise started up I jumped back in. Im sure this will happen routinely with people.
I consider myself very laid back, so the annual challenges didnt interest me. I'm a slow crawl on any leaderboard...lol.
Das_Fura

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:42 pm

@mrtnmitchell wrote:I personally like the way we are doing it with the one game on Monday and Friday seems like we have been having a lot more fun this way. I to wish we could get more people to join but the odds of us all having the same game is rare lol.
I love the birthday challenge you started up and the the annual to do list. I know I  never cared that malagizmo always finished the challenge. Plus those who have gamed with me know I never win anyhow lol...
I will be more then happy to play on other nights that I'm free just put it on the site and if I have the game and time im always willing to help.

I agree with the one game for Monday & Friday nights. I do think some games will have limitations due to the number of gamers on but there really isn't much we can do about that.

I didn't really care about the challenge and Gizmo finishing early but was afraid others might. I don't have the determination that Gizmo has but then again, few do. Razz

As you guys might've noticed, when I get into a game I tend to focus on that game and that alone. So our Monday & Friday night game might turn into a bunch of impromptu Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday sessions. Smile If I know I'm going to game on an off night, I'll be better about posting it so if others are free, they could join in as well.

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:48 pm

@Das_Fura wrote:Im still a newbie to the group, but I think we have a great core of people.
I personally like the 2 night schedule and the casual attendance. Adding more nights would be more effective & open more games, but I wouldn't like to feel locked into tighter schedule. I had enough of that back in my World of Warcraft days.
Player #'s I think will always be an issue. If a game has a max of 4 online players and we have 6 attending, people may feel screwed. Secondary groups will be helpful, but again attendance will be a factor. I dont think we have to worry about clique's forming.
GwG will always be a good choice because we know members will have access to the games. If a person decides not to play, it their choice. I've started games in my library that I would not have picked normally, bu then ended up enjoying the change in gameplay or genre. But then I lean towards increasing my gamer score, not %. Using Minecraft as an example, I didnt own it, or have the desire to purchase it to work on last month with everyone. I have over 100 physical games to work off + GwG library and couldnt force myself to buy another...lol.
I worked on other games during that month, and didnt feel left out. When Burnout Paradise started up I jumped back in. Im sure this will happen routinely with people.  
I consider myself very laid back, so the annual challenges didnt interest me. I'm a slow crawl on any leaderboard...lol.

I don't really want to add another session only because I personally can't commit to anything more than Monday & Friday nights. (my wife would probably kill me lol) I don't have an issue if someone else wants to run one but like you, I've gotten "hooked" on games before and they had taken over my life (thanks Everquest!) and I don't want to travel down that road again.

I think we'll continue to vote and/or choose a game each month and I'll take a roll call for who wants to play that game. If we have a few people that aren't interested, I'll work with those people to form a group. To make things easier I think I'm going to choose the game for February and just see how it goes.

I like the idea of the GwG and will most likely make that my choice every month but we'll see. I think with Burnout Paradise we've got enough to keep ourselves busy for now.

And for the record, I also care more about gamerscore than completion percentage. :p

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by techjedi on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Brutal honesty time... well, okay so maybe not really that brutal, but mostly unfiltered and whatnot.

Contests/Challenges/Etc
I like the idea of having something that we are individually working on in parallel, whether it be semi-competitive or not. However, for me it mostly ends up being a list that I look at, very rarely get the time to focus on 1 or 2 achievements, and then I get busy and forget about it for a while. Perhaps, instead of focusing on making it a contest of sorts, we change direction and make it about completing achievements collectively. For example, take the list of achievements from TA, sort by easiest, and then add only the ones that are co-op or multiplayer. This could provide fuel for the months where the chosen Mon/Fri game is something you're not interested in or don't have, and still potentially be able to work with someone from the CGC crew.

The contest stuff I want to enjoy, but my play time is so limited that it's really a non-motivator most of the time.

Game of the Month
I agree. Minecraft was a blast because while we did work toward achievements, we also spent a lot of time just playing the actual game and very little time boosting. Burnout Paradise is fun, and I really don't care whether I complete everything, and I doubt I will. If there is something in the GwG free offerings that everyone wants to play, I'm cool with that. But I also think occasionally we should mix it up and pick something different, though my preference would be something that is not a grindy, boosting one.

To Malagizmo's point and Kbeau's follow up thoughts, I would agree that it would be great for there to be additional groups playing alternate games than the monthly choice. Whether it's to have something on a different night, or all on the same night but with a different game, it would be excellent just for the flexibility. However, that requires someone to step up and lead those efforts. I am just as guilty at times of being lazy, as it can be so easy to assume someone else will get things rolling.

Podcast
In terms of technology, this is not that difficult. It requires a little bit of coordination in terms of what audio conferencing software to use (Skype, Google Hangouts, Vent, Mumble, Discord, Curse Voice, etc), and then one or more people record that output from their sound card in something like Audacity. Uploading someplace is generally pretty easy, I think SoundCloud is possibly free.

The bigger issue is scheduling the time, organizing a specific agenda of topics to discuss, and if required doing the post-editing (adding copyright-free music intro/outro, clearing out any bad spots, trimming pre/post recorded chatter).

If there were people interested in trying to pull it off, I'd be game to help figure it out. Technically, it wouldn't be a gaming night and usually you don't want a podcast to go much longer than an hour.
techjedi
Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:03 am

@techjedi wrote:Brutal honesty time... well, okay so maybe not really that brutal, but mostly unfiltered and whatnot.

Contests/Challenges/Etc
I like the idea of having something that we are individually working on in parallel, whether it be semi-competitive or not. However, for me it mostly ends up being a list that I look at, very rarely get the time to focus on 1 or 2 achievements, and then I get busy and forget about it for a while. Perhaps, instead of focusing on making it a contest of sorts, we change direction and make it about completing achievements collectively.  For example, take the list of achievements from TA, sort by easiest, and then add only the ones that are co-op or multiplayer. This could provide fuel for the months where the chosen Mon/Fri game is something you're not interested in or don't have, and still potentially be able to work with someone from the CGC crew.

It's too early in the morning to actually think and I think you need to dumb it down a bit for me. :p Would it be an achievement hunt of sorts? I've thought about doing something like this but wasn't sure of the best way to implement it. How do we choose the game? Or is it achievements as a whole?

@techjedi wrote:Game of the Month
I agree. Minecraft was a blast because while we did work toward achievements, we also spent a lot of time just playing the actual game and very little time boosting. Burnout Paradise is fun, and I really don't care whether I complete everything, and I doubt I will. If there is something in the GwG free offerings that everyone wants to play, I'm cool with that. But I also think occasionally we should mix it up and pick something different, though my preference would be something that is not a grindy, boosting one.

I tend to agree on the grindy/boosting thing... I've really enjoyed Minecraft and so far Burnout Paradise because it was something we were playing... not boosting. As for the Games With Gold thing, I think it's a good option because then IF you don't want to download and play the game... as Das put it, it's your choice. This would probably make choosing the game a lot easier but take February for instance... I have no Desire to play Project Cars and everything else is no co-op.

@techjedi wrote:To Malagizmo's point and Kbeau's follow up thoughts, I would agree that it would be great for there to be additional groups playing alternate games than the monthly choice. Whether it's to have something on a different night, or all on the same night but with a different game, it would be excellent just for the flexibility. However, that requires someone to step up and lead those efforts. I am just as guilty at times of being lazy, as it can be so easy to assume someone else will get things rolling.

Yeah, I think this is a good idea but also not practical because when we did have a back up session (which was Titanfall), no one really set anything up or got it going. Will attempt to get a back up game but again, I don't see it being effective.

@techjedi wrote:Podcast
In terms of technology, this is not that difficult. It requires a little bit of coordination in terms of what audio conferencing software to use (Skype, Google Hangouts, Vent, Mumble, Discord, Curse Voice, etc), and then one or more people record that output from their sound card in something like Audacity. Uploading someplace is generally pretty easy, I think SoundCloud is possibly free.

The bigger issue is scheduling the time, organizing a specific agenda of topics to discuss, and if required doing the post-editing (adding copyright-free music intro/outro, clearing out any bad spots, trimming pre/post recorded chatter).

If there were people interested in trying to pull it off, I'd be game to help figure it out. Technically, it wouldn't be a gaming night and usually you don't want a podcast to go much longer than an hour.

I would love this but it doesn't make sense if it's not going to be a community thing. So I guess we'll wait and see what others say/think.

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by techjedi on Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:55 pm

@kbeau73 wrote:
@techjedi wrote:
Perhaps, instead of focusing on making it a contest of sorts, we change direction and make it about completing achievements collectively.  For example, take the list of achievements from TA, sort by easiest, and then add only the ones that are co-op or multiplayer. This could provide fuel for the months where the chosen Mon/Fri game is something you're not interested in or don't have, and still potentially be able to work with someone from the CGC crew.

It's too early in the morning to actually think and I think you need to dumb it down a bit for me. :p Would it be an achievement hunt of sorts? I've thought about doing something like this but wasn't sure of the best way to implement it. How do we choose the game? Or is it achievements as a whole?

Basically, the short version of this is... Everybody posts their list of 15-20 easiest (TA ratio) achievements which require or can be done in multiplayer, and that's what you're looking to complete. This way it's not totally random, and they are all focused on things we could work on together (avoiding single player stuff). I don't know if it's worth the effort to organize though.
techjedi
Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by kbeau73 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:36 am

Interesting idea... it does sound like it might be time consuming to organize. Maybe we go back to the monthly to-do list challenge. Hmmm, we'll see. Right now no one is really working on their lists but I don't want to end it prematurely. I'll wait another couple of months and if there still hasn't been any progress... we'll scrap it.

Delta-One

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob K9 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:00 pm

I don't have much to offer in "improvement" ideas. We all have such varied goals, schedules and personalities that we can only do our best to get together when there exists a common gaming project that some are interested in pursuing - whether it be for fun or to achieve personal goals. My gaming personality goes against starting anything new unless it interests me to the point where I'm willing to make a time commitment. I'm done throwing crap games onto my backlog, been there done that; I'd rather spend my gaming hours on something I really enjoy. Like all of you I have a blast while boosting because it allows us that opportunity to game, joke, laugh, ridicule and embarrass each other while still chasing an achievement Very Happy or helping others get the ones they're still missing  Embarassed  I just wanted to say keep up the good work Guys & Gals - I do appreciate those times when the planets align and we do get to party ! Game on Razz
Rob K9
CIC Officer

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top