Casual Gaming Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casual Xbox Gaming Community.

We will be playing Burnout Paradise on Monday evenings and Strange Brigade on Friday evenings starting at 9pm Eastern

+2
Plinking22
JohnPicklewilly
6 posters

Where's JPW?

JohnPicklewilly
    JohnPicklewilly
    Delta-One

Where's JPW? Empty Where's JPW?

Post by JohnPicklewilly Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:18 pm

I realize it's been several weeks since my last update.  I just wanted to let you all know where I've been and what's going on.

Over the past few months I experienced an ever-increasing pain in my hands and fingers.  I was already told that I have some arthritis in my fingers.  The pain, however, was becoming unbearable.  Another visit to my rheumatologist and I was diagnosed with Dupuytren's contracture.  According to the Mayo Clinic:
    Dupuytren's (du-pwe-TRANZ) contracture is a hand deformity that usually develops over years. The condition affects a layer of tissue that lies under the skin of your palm. Knots of tissue form under the skin — eventually creating a thick cord that can pull one or more fingers into a bent position.

The affected fingers can't be straightened completely, which can complicate everyday activities such as placing your hands in your pockets, putting on gloves or shaking hands.

Using a controller became VERY painful and exacerbated the situation.  I therefore decided to limit my gaming time in order to give my hands a break.  That's why you haven't seen me online as much lately.  I recently started a new course of medication that is helping tremendously with the pain.  I am hopeful that I will be able to resume gaming.  I doubt, however, that I will be able to devote as much time to it as I did previously.  

I've been spending my time away from consoles pondering my gaming priorities.  In the past, my gaming priorities included:

• Gaming with friends by boosting or in co-op gameplay
    • Unlocking achievements
    • Completing games
    • Playing a game simply because I found it interesting and fun

After much thought, I decided my focus will be on the first and last options above.  I'm faced with having to limit my gaming time due to the hand I've been dealt (see what I did there?).  

I thoroughly enjoy gaming with this group.  Whether we're boosting or playing co-op, I almost always have a lot of fun.  Heck, @mrtnmitchell and @Kbeau73 even made boosting Far Cry 2 fun.  I will continue to play along on game nights.  I've forged some awesome friendships in this group.  

I have several games in my collection I bought because they looked like a lot of fun or I'm a big fan of the series.  I decided that, on those nights that I can play when I'm not gaming with you all, I will focus on having fun.  It will take a bit of changing my mindset.  My natural proclivity is to chase down the achievements and completion percentages.  Realistically, I will unlikely get through my backlog before this disease prevents me from gaming altogether.  So, I'm going to have fun gaming until I no longer can.  

So you probably won't see statistics any longer in this blog.  You will, however, see what games I'm playing and how much fun I'm having playing them.

Currently, I'm playing three games:

1. Gears of War 2 - I'm chasing down the Seriously achievement in this game.  I know, I know . . . I said I wasn't chasing achievements any longer.  This is a goal I set a few months ago.  I spend about an hour each week killing enemies hoping to unlock the achievement by the end of September.  I hope to continue this goal.
    2. Burnout Paradise - I am having a blast playing this game with the group.  I sometimes feel like a pinball.  Lots of fun!
    3. Borderlands: The Pre Sequel (Xbox 360) - I started this game a month or so ago.  I really enjoy the Borderlands series.  I am currently level 33 and playing through the campaign again in True Vault Hunter Mode.  It is challenging and fun.

Happy gaming y'all!
    Plinking22
    Plinking22
    CIC Officer

Where's JPW? Empty Re: Where's JPW?

Post by Plinking22 Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:43 am

This whole aging thing sucks the big one. I pop a big naproxen tab to help the my arthritic hands and play on a small screen to best accommodate my trifocal glasses Cool  oh the things we do for fun. Good luck with the new Meds, don't forget to take them as scheduled (yeah I worked for years in hospital pharmacy  clown ). Hope to see you soon....maybe minecrafting pig
    techjedi
    techjedi
    Delta-One

Post by techjedi Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:05 pm

Really, all I can think of to say is... man, that sucks, however I hope and pray that the medication continues to alleviate the pain and that perhaps a course of treatment will be found that helps stall or lessen the progression of the disease.

Beyond that, it has always been a great time gaming with you and I hope it continues for many years to come -- even if you are knocked down to a gaming schedule that looks like mine. tongue
    JohnPicklewilly
    JohnPicklewilly
    Delta-One

Post by JohnPicklewilly Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Rob K9 wrote:This whole aging thing sucks the big one.
    Indeed!
    Rob K9 wrote:Good luck with the new Meds, don't forget to take them as scheduled (yeah I worked for years in hospital pharmacy  clown ). Hope to see you soon....maybe minecrafting pig
    Thank you! The miracle drug is meloxicam.  Since I started taking it, I rarely take any narcotic pain killers.  I love Minecraft!  Give me a shout any time you want to play!
    Ms Dudette
    Ms Dudette
    CIC Officer

Post by Ms Dudette Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:47 pm

Hope you are feeling a lot better and have some relief. Meloxicam is very good (one of my scripts).
    You know you and your limits...do as you can. If it ain't fun to some degree...don't do it...especially if it causes you pain.
    Here's to seeing you online more cheers
    kbeau73
    kbeau73
    Delta-One

Post by kbeau73 Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:06 pm

Well sir... you are not allowed to not be my co-op partner anymore. I refuse to let a small thing like a hand get in the way of our gaming time. :p Seriously though, you need to take care of you first and foremost. Hopfully we'll still be able to play often but I totally understand as well.
    JohnPicklewilly
    JohnPicklewilly
    Delta-One

Post by JohnPicklewilly Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:07 pm

kbeau73 wrote:Well sir... you are not allowed to not be my co-op partner anymore. I refuse to let a small thing like a hand get in the way of our gaming time. :p Seriously though, you need to take care of you first and foremost. Hopfully we'll still be able to play often but I totally understand as well.
    I'm looking forward to plenty of co-op gaming with you buddy. As long as the hands hold out, I'm there! bounce
    Das_Fura
    Das_Fura

Post by Das_Fura Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Real sorry to hear about that man...
    Aging definitely bites. Keep up with the meds & any physical therapy they recommend. I learned my lesson after being defiant with my doctor, now I'm on 6 meds a days.....
    Your a great anchor for the group and join in whenever you can, but most all do what you enjoy doing. Always a good time having you in the game. cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 am